Thursday, December 15, 2011

Writing Distractions: Is It A Conspiracy?



Hey everyone, it's Rachel.

Is it me, or is there some kind of innate conspiracy going on to distract me everytime I try to write something lately? I'm over 68 pages along in my next book, great character chemistry, plot is moving along full of action and tension, but of late, everytime I fully intend to hit it, something seems to be coming up. Perhaps its the holiday season. There's shopping to do, school concerts, and parties, but there are other things doing this as well.

I think the internet and technology (altho i'm guilty of the love) is someone's big conspiracy to suck us all in and get nothing done. Even right now as I'm blogging this, I have three friends up on instant messenger, I'm working on a joint post with someone in a writing game I'm in, my phone has rang three times in the last hour, and I've been 'forced' to randomly brouse youtube and a couple other sites - fully against my will of course. :P <.<

Can you imagine how much I'd have done if I didn't have any of these distractions? I'd probably have four books done. Course, I'll admit, the process wouldn't be nearly as fun without the random chatter and inspiration from my online friends. Writing games (RP) also helps keep my inspiration and creativity alive and challenged, due to writing against other players in an interactive plot. I wouldn't change those for the world, but I would like to change my ability to focus. I always say, the hardest thing about writing a book, is making yourself do it. That still holds true.

So tonight, I'm asking you all to think....What helps you to focus? Let's share the inspiration and get some real writing done. ;)


2 comments:

Kim said...

That happens to me all the time! I have to force myself not to click over to Facebook or Twitter, and it really feels like I'm going through withdrawal sometimes! Right now, I'm doing edits on something I plan to self-publish, and edits are tedious and time-consuming. It's not at all as fun as coming up with the story, so I think that's part of why I find it hard to concentrate. But I keep thinking about how I've been working on this book for several years, and it would be nice to have it finished, already! :) Great post, Rachel.

Rachel Deagan - Author said...

Thanks, K. L. Gore! :) That's exactly what I'm finding myself having to do - force myself to NOT click on those sites when I sit down to write. I definitely know how hard it is to focus when editing too, but I'm sure your book is going to turn out great. Can't stop before you put the frosting on the cake. ;)

Thanks for the reply and welcome to my blog!

Post a Comment