Saturday, January 21, 2012

My Secret Life - A World of RPGs and Fanfic

Every writer has their own secret to what keeps their creative juices flowing, and what has brought them to where they are today. Today, I’m going to share a secret of mine with you. I love role playing games (rpgs), and fanfic. It’s where I got my start, my first real taste in fleshing out characters, and beginning that wonderful inner dialogue with them. ‘Course half the time I can’t get them to shut up now, but I’ll deal. :P

For those of you who aren’t familiar with the concept, role playing games are writing games in which several writers in the ‘game’ each take on a particular character or characters. Together they interact by email or post while in character to weave through plots, subplots, etc. The idea, is that although the basic structure of the plot is laid out, each player/character will not know how the other players are going to react, thus making the writing experience more ‘life like’.

For me, it’s a wonderful way to keep my creative juices not only flowing, but my writing challenged. There are some amazing writers out there. Having to work with them in an active writing forum pushes me to not only do my best, but ‘wow’ the other writers involved. How can you be subpar when other writers are going to be reading your work, reactions, and talking about your characterizations? Okay, maybe I’m slightly competitive. <.<

Albeit, there are some poorly run games out there, I’ve seen them, but I’m lucky enough to have found a group of roleplaying friends that I’ve been writing with for over 15 years. Wow, I just aged myself! o.O

Most of the games I’ve been in are fan based off of tv shows and since I’m a YA Paranormal Author, most of my writing experience stems from rpgs such as Buffy, Twilight, Vampire Diaries, and Paranormal Universes. Some of my favorite characters that I’ve taken on are, Nick – a made up character of mine who was a genetically altered chameleon boy, Jacob Black – an all-time favorite of mine to write. Logan, a runaway teen werewolf with an attitude and a guitar (made up), and one I’m enjoying playing right now, Nick – a badass fallen angel who stumbled into the Buffy verse. Yes, for some reason I usually play guys, which is strange because CAGED MOON is written from the girl’s point of view. Although - I think you’ll like meeting Liam. He’s….well….I’ll let you decide ;)

Right now, I’m studying up Jake from The Secret Circle. I plan on playing him soon. I can’t help it. I have a love for writing bad boys. :D

Role playing games have definitely helped improve my writing, and continue to challenge me to this day. My creative energy stays flowing and moving forward. It has also given me the wonderful opportunity to meet some amazing people.
So what’s your secret? ;)

0 comments:

Post a Comment